CPRL's mission is to revitalize public education while reinventing professional education. We envision a world with expanded access to high-quality education for all students — particularly those of color and from low-income households.
- We advance systems and practices that eliminate historical and systemic barriers to opportunity and that work to ensure students’ identities and background characteristics, particularly race and socioeconomic status, do not predict their success in school and beyond. The imperative to achieve educational equity—and our deep belief in our nation’s and world’s capacity to do so—drive all of our other values.
Learn and Improve
- We approach all contexts, opportunities, and interactions with a learning stance. As individuals and as an organization, we position ourselves to get better all the time. We identify and are transparent about strengths and challenges, we research and experiment to understand what works, we share knowledge, and we evolve our theories of action. We do the same with our stakeholders, especially our graduate students and clients, in an effort to help public education better serve all children, particularly those of color, from low-income households, or otherwise traditionally underserved.
Be Passionately Optimistic
- We know all problems are solvable. We are dedicated to addressing barriers to high-quality education, particularly those that impede access for students of color, from low-income households, or otherwise traditionally underserved, regardless of how entrenched and intractable those barriers may appear to be.
Cocreate and Reorient
- We believe that deep learning and improvement requires stakeholders to engage collaboratively in problem solving. We believe diverse perspectives, disciplines, and strengths must come together to create lasting change, and, therefore, we reject traditional and artificial divides that silo groups of people, ideas, and skills. This purposeful disruption allows us to reorient the system not only through our outcomes but also through our method of making progress.
Deliver Rigor and Excellence
- We produce work that is intellectually rigorous, thoughtful, and impactful, both in its design and execution. We look for and generate creative, novel, and ambitious ideas that will drive improvement in education. We believe that our responsibility to our children, particularly those of color, from low-income households, and otherwise traditionally underserved, requires that we hold ourselves to high standards of quality in every aspect of our work.
- We pursue the long-term health and productivity of our organization and its stakeholders. We view short-term and intermediate results as important opportunities for reflection and learning. We believe that diverse perspectives and experiences are needed to develop ever more effective and efficient actions and improved outcomes.